Thursday, May 16, 2019

Colt's Anxiety

Colt's Great Escape

Over the year and a half we have had Colt, we noticed he is very clingy, to me in particular. One Saturday last March the day started out normal. I had to take my daughter back to her Dad since she had to work. I knew it would be a long ride and that Colt would get very anxious. Even with other people in the house, he will still bark every few minutes and sit by the door. So, since I didn't need to get out of the car, I let him come with me. He enjoyed that. He is very good in the car. He mostly sleeps, but he will also get up every now and then to look out the window.

Once we were home, my husband and I went to get some food shopping done. We were halfway to the store when we get a phone call from the Home Again microchip company. (I really love this company. I highly recommend them..) The said that they had found Colt.



We were thinking that it had to be a mistake because we just left Colt IN the house only a short time ago. My husband made some calls to our neighbors and it was confirmed. Somehow, he got our.

A bunch of horrible things were going through our heads. How did he get out? Was he OK? Did someone  get into our house and therefore let him out? Did the cats follow him?

We finally get home. Colt was over at our neighbor's house (Turns out he went to visit the horses across the street). The cats were all accounted for. One last question remained. HOW did he get out?

We had a hunch, but hoped we were wrong, that he went through a window. When we looked to the side of our house, we saw a gaping hold where Colt must have torn and jumped through.


At the Vet we discussed his anxiety and are trying some behavioral tips at home before we move to any supplements or medication.  We did try to crate train him in the past, but he couldn't stand being closed in and ended up chewing off the metal tabs to the doors of the cage. He still uses it though - on his own terms and with it wide open. His favorite thing to do is munch on his "chewy", which is one of those brushing chews.

If you have a pet anxiety story, tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment