Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Colt and the Memorial Day Fireworks

We were just settling in after a long day this past Memorial Day. Colt kept us company as we did some yard work. We later grilled up some hot dogs and hamburgers. We only had a few people over and by evening we were ready for bed.

As we settled in, we heard it. There were the BOOMS and CRACKS of the fireworks. I wasn't aware of it until Colt squirmed from the bed to my lap. Then he started shaking. I knew making a big deal out of it would make things worse, so I just nonchalantly pet his back and continued reading my book. 

Unfortunately the fireworks kept coming and he jumped onto the floor. He was looking for a small space to curl up in. He finally decided to squeeze between my nightstand and under my bed. 



He calmed down shortly after that, but I hated to see the above look on his face. I did some reading about this. Aside from not making a big deal about it and to offer normal petting I discovered some products out there such as the Thunder Shirt. This wraps the dog tightly and gives him a sense of security. 

Other ways to help your pup:


  • Act normal
  • Distract them with a favorite toy
  • Have a place they can go to  - lots of dogs like their crates
  • Offer calming music
  • Pull shades and curtains down and close the windows to help filter out the sounds


What are some ways you use to help your pet during anxious times? 

No comments:

Post a Comment